Hiiiiiii. I’m Erica Knecht from That Wild Road Photography. I’m a Canadian lifestyle and documentary photographer based in Jakarta, Indonesia (for now, anyway!). I have two kids, a deep-seated sense of wanderlust, and an unhealthy addiction to corn tortillas.
I shoot most of my professional work on a Canon 6D usually with a 35 mm 1.4 or a 50 mm 1.4 lens. I chase my own kids around with a Fuji X100T or my Canon EOS 1. I’m slowly learning the ropes with my new Hasselblad 500 c/m.
I’m, like, so beyond thrilled to be a guest judge on Dear Photographer Facebook page, so, let’s get out our high fives hands, and make this week awesome, okay?
Oh, if you’d like to connect, here’s my website. You can find me on my Facebook page, or my Instagram.
Ten Fun Facts About Me
1. I’m a nomad and a wanderer. I have lived on three continents, in seven countries, ten cities, and more than a few cow towns.
2. Everyone in my family was born in a different country, and each of those countries has a red and white flag. And I sort of love the symmetry of that fact.
3. I find beauty in chaos and disorder, the unexpected, and the difficult. All of this, I think, is why I think I love living in Jakarta.
4. As the result of spending the majority of my adult life in Asia, I believe that coconut rice and spicy tempeh are legit breakfast foods.
5. Yet my Western food habits die hard, and I return from every trip home with a suitcase packed full of peanut butter, heirloom beans, pork products various and sundry, and stacks of corn tortillas.
6. I’m married to a chef, and yeah, he cooks at home about twice a year.
7. I’m like, allergic to winter. (Which might tell you something about why I left my home and native land.)
8. My life skills are questionable at best. I’ve, on more than one occasion, made it part way to a shoot only to realise I’ve forgotten my camera.
9. I almost always ride to my shoots on the back of a motorcycle taxi. It’s part of my process, I think. 😉 (Also it’s the only reliable way to get around this crazy congested city.)
10. I’m in love with shadows and dappled light, those places of tension where dark becomes bright are my obsession.
So excited to see what you post!!