My camera bag is mix of film & digital gear: Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 5D original, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 35 ART, 40mm pancake, a few flashes for OCF at weddings, a custom-made dual camera strap, Pentax Spotomatic 35mm, Polaroid Land Camera, and a prism for whenever I feel extra artsy. I live in a heavily wooded area of the Blue Ridge Mountains, on a smallish acreage with my super-smart Engineer husband, and our 5 totally incredible children (I’ve been interrupted 7 times since starting to write this, haha). We have a flock of misfit chickens, ducks and pigeons (most are rescues), 7 deranged cats & 2 dogs who are ‘mostly normal’. I really enjoy reading all the features & tips on Dear Photographer, and I’m pretty dang excited to be the judge on Dear Photographer’s Facebook page this week!
10 Fun Facts about Me:
- I’m a perfectionist and always looking for ways to challenge myself. For personal work, I will often force myself to use one lens, for weeks/months, until I feel I have ‘mastered’ it (Jedi Mastered, that is). That’s the reason I still have my 50mm 1.4, it’s soft and often fickle, but I love the challenge it gives me to get GOOD images (I may be buried with it when I die, haha). Don’t ever think you need the BEST gear to be a GREAT photographer.
- I’ve burned through 6 iPhone/iPad chargers in 4 months. If that’s not something to be proud of, I don’t know what is.
- My love for photography started with my Dad, who is a meteorologist, and when we were younger, he’d take my siblings & I out to photograph some amazing storms over the Texas plains.
- Breakfast food is my LYFE, yo. Actually, I think I mentioned that in my last Dear Photographer post. Because this is really important, I’ll mention it again. #breakfastfood
- Parks & Rec. Need I say more? No.
- We have 5 children, as I mentioned above. When I was younger, I was never the girl who loved babysitting or always dreamed of having a huge family. So, how did I end up with 5? I’m still not sure. But, I really love being a Mom, and my children constantly amaze me. They have taught me so much and made me a better person. Whenever my husband & I have a RARE date night, we enjoy the first 30 minutes or so of ‘quiet’ then start missing our kids and want to go back home, haha!
- I’m a huge fan of the Myers-Briggs-Type-Indicator (MBTI) and try to ‘type’ everyone I meet. (sorry) I am very much an INTJ who has a well developed F side (thank you, motherhood)
- My younger sister is my BFF, who lives way too far away in TX, and we make up comedy skits (Portlandia style) that we film on our phones, & send each other throughout the week. One day we will be famous and you’ll feel cool & hipster knowing that you knew about me before I became #mainstream.
- I have an addiction to Chicken Poop Lip balm (it’s not really poop, I promise) & colorful socks. I rarely wear socks, so I see how this is a problem area in my life and I should seek therapy.
- I hate writing my blog for my website. I’d seriously pay someone to do it for me. I’ll add that to my ‘To Do’ list for the month. “Find a blogger, Meghann.”
I love colorful things (but be creative and interpret how it suits you!) I can’t wait to see your images!