“There is only one sun. We can’t all claim to only have one way to use the light, but we can REDEFINE how we choose to express it. “
Why are you passionate about this topic?
I love seeing how I can bend and manipulate light. Sun light is always changing, it’s like life. Not one day will be the same as the next. Same is true for photographing it. Each day you’re going to get a different flare a different glow. I look forward to what I can I do with that light each day. It gives me something to look forward to. It’s inspiring to not know what I’m capable of creating. Constantly pushing boundaries and experimenting is what art is all about to me.
When did you first learn this technique? Or, when did you first realize you liked this topic?
I’ve always been a lover of light and sun in my pictures. Though, I think I really started looking at it differently about 2 years ago when I started taking pictures of my daughter. Once I felt comfortable enough shooting into the sun I decided to try out some different techniques. It’s all been very experimental for me. I started out using a prism and then moved to a metal pipe within a few weeks.
What are the tips you would share with anyone trying to achieve this technique or subject/topic?
- Having a subject to practice on is helpful but not necessary
- Go to any hardware store and just search for cylindrical metal objects to put in front of your lens. It’s all about experimenting.
- When shooting you want to have your settings dialed in and your subject in focus before you place the object close to your lens.
- Shoot so that the sun or light will leak into you lens. With the lens hood off, place the object close to the glass on your lens. To get a flare you will have to tilt the object in different directions until it reflects off the light. I’ve heard using live view on your camera helps though I have never tried.
- Finally, practice, practice, practice, and good luck!
About the photographer:
Hello! My name is Jessica Dunn, the owner of JDunn Photography. I’m the wife of a military pilot and the mother of a sweet, strong willed, red head. I love spending my time outdoors chasing light and soaking up the sun. I’ve always had an intense passion for art and chocolate.