Aloha! I’m Allison with Allison Gipson Photography. I am a lifestyle and documentary photographer located in Honolulu, Hawaii. I am a former photojournalist, mom to one, a proud Army spouse and have a minor… okay… major obsession with all things pineapples. In one of my many, many camera bags (I can’t help myself…) I shoot with a Nikon D810 and my Sigma Art 35mm. I have a few other lenses – a 24-70mm and a 100mm, but my 35mm is my life. I am so pumped to be the guest judge this week over on the Dear Photographer’s Facebook page.
10 Fun Facts about Me
- I am a military brat turned Army spouse. I have spent my entire life moving and love the adventure. Favorite place? Ah-hem. Hawaii. But I claim Michigan as home.
- Pineapples. Why pineapples? Not only are they yummy, but I think they bottle up everything “Hawaii” in a perfect, yellow package. I really am obsessed and have friends and clients sending me pictures, goodies and ideas about pineapples daily.
- I got my start as a photojournalist. Years ago, I went to school for journalism and wanted nothing more than to be a writer. Along the way, I fell deeply in love with photography.
- I love stand-up paddle boarding. I love strapping my board on my car and taking my board out. It is so quiet and peaceful – a great place to think and meditate.
- I swam competitively since I was a little girl all the way through college. On top of that, I was a lifeguard for 10+years. Safe to say, I love the water.
- I love trying all kinds of new foods. I used to no be so adventurous, but my hubby and I love trying all sorts of new and different things.
- I used to do community theater after college and really miss it. When my husband and I were dating, he would come and watch my shows.
- I don’t watch a ton of television…but when I do…it is usually really bad reality tv. I can’t help it.
- Current favorite drink at Starbucks – Cold Brew with Sweet Vanilla Cream.
- Nothing brings me more joy in this entire world than watching and photographing my boys – Jer and Adam.
This is a recent favorite of mine. During a trip back to the mainland, I couldn’t wait to go berry picking – we don’t have that here in Hawaii. As I was watching Adam navigate through the berry patch and was clicking away – I caught this. My tagline from that day was “We picked all sorts of things today.” I can’t wait to see your unplanned, candid, silly and funny moments.