Hello! I’m Lisa of lisa kathan photography in Lake County, Illinois, north of Chicago. After losing my job as a writer in 2013, I took a film photography class at a local college, and fell in love. I took all the classes they offered over two years and started my photography business in early 2015.
I love shooting couples and individuals above all else! My main DSLR is a Canon 6D, and my Sigma 35mm Art hardly leaves my camera, but when it does it usually for a Canon 135 L or a vintage Harigon 50mm lens given to me by an old friend. I’m all about the primes, baby! I began learning photography with a Canon AE1 film camera and just picked it up again…I hope to use it for client sessions soon! I am so excited to see your beautiful work over on Dear Photographer!
10 Fun Facts about Me:
- I’m a Chicago girl, born and bred.
- We finally got Netflix and I spent entirely too much time binge watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt this summer.
- I have dreams of moving to the upper West because I’m insane over the quality of light.
- I met my husband, Erich, in college, where we both graduated with degrees in Youth Ministry.
- When Erich’s not with me at a shoot, it’s a 99.9% probability that I will lose track of my lens caps and camera bag.
- We have no children, but we do have a hilarious Beagle-Basset named Wesley who enjoys photobombing my portrait sessions.
- Our favorite activity to do together is entertaining friends at our home.
- Periodically Erich and I become obsessed with a TV drama. Currently, it’s Elementary.
- I love a glass of red wine at the end of a hard day.
- I’m a life-long Cubs fan, which I think says a lot about my ability to be long-suffering. But maybe this is the year!