“There is only one sun. We can’t all claim to only have one way to use the light, but we can REDEFINE how we choose to express it. “
Why are you passionate about simple newborn portraits?
KB: Over the years I found that I love working with newborns. Capturing them in natural poses, while creating work that will be cherished for a lifetime.
When did you define your style of portraiture?
KB: After three years of traditional newborn work, I knew something was missing. At that point I never felt like an artist, I started to question what I was doing as a photographer. I wanted to produce newborn portraiture that I was passionate about. Really focusing on my subjects and creating art that made me feel something. I have always loved minimalistic design, I knew I wanted to create work that was both beautiful and simple. This was completely freeing, as I was able to redefine what newborn photography was for me.
What are the tips you would share with anyone to achieve this style?
1) Each baby is different. What works for one session, might not work for the next session.
2) Less is always more! A defining moment for me was saying goodbye to 99% of my studio props. I work with one white bean bag fabric, one black bean bag fabric, and two different white wraps. Not only do I find having such simple setups makes my sessions go more smoothly, it keeps my work cohesive and makes the photos about all about baby.
3) Take risks with your work. Some of my favorite photos are ones where I skipped the “safe shots” and tried something new.
4) Say “no” to work that doesn’t make you happy as an artist. I am alway very clear with potential clients what my style is.
5) Not everyone will love your work, but it’s okay. If you stay true to what you want to produce as an artist, you will be happy.
ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPHER :
I live in beautiful Vermont with my husband and our five children. I found photography as an outlet in my late 20’s and haven’t looked back. A lot has changed since I picked up a camera, but I have enjoyed every moment growing as an artist. I found that I love the beauty in simplicity, and art in our everyday. I love working with families, but my true passion is newborn photography.